Sensitization sessions: More than a million persons addressed.
- Variety of groups addressed: students, teachers, illiterates, professionals.
- Discourse and tools modified for each group suitably
- Discourse always accompanied by cultural tools such as skits, music and film clippings
- Focus on addressing voice and analysis of masculinity
Help to sufferers of violence: More than 5,000 cases
- Counseling of the sufferer and the family/institution
- Fighting court cases
- Rescued 3 bonded labourers (girls)
- Stopped several child marriages
- Fought several cases of farmers’ suicide and cases of illegal sale of farmers’ lands
Advocacy and research for gender equality:
- Carried out 317 campaigns on different aspects within gender equality
- Carried out following researches:
- Women and Media in the Context of Globalization
- Fundamentalism and Women
- Women’s access to Justice
- Examined all the existing laws related to family, children and marriage and lobbied for reform therein with parliamentarians
- Conducted 425 protest rallies on particular cases of gender violence and harmful government policies
- Drafted state policy on declining child sex ratio for Uttar Pradesh for lobbying with the government
- Prepared an easy to understand booklet on masculinity and femininity
- Prepared 2 booklets to help understand adolescence in easy terms, one for teens and one for parents.
Dissemination of legal literacy:
- The following booklets on some laws were prepared in simple language for distribution:
- Inheritance Rights
- Sexual Violence and Rape
- Child Marriage
- Immoral Trafficking
- Child Custody
- Domestic Violence
Intervention in basic education from gender lens:
- Contents of the textbooks of both government schools and private schools of UP were analysed from gender lens thrice at different time intervals.
- More than a dozen meetings were held with the officials of government department and the other stakeholders to expose the harmful content in the textbooks from the viewpoint of gender and scientific temper.
- After several years of persuasion a process of change started but halted after a while.
- The efforts for better school books still continues
- On a more constructive side of our efforts we created our own gender equal material for students from pre-primary to class 12. This material was also applied on some selected schools and it was received with much more enthusiasm than expected.